Micro Sclerotherapy is used to treat the surface veins visible on the skin referred to as reticular veins and telangiectasias. Sclerotherapy involves injecting a chemical agent (a sclerosant) to induce blood vessel scarring and closure. Sclerotherapy has a long history and has been used to treat varicose veins for over 150 years. This causes the vein to spasm and scar. The vein can be checked with the ultrasound to see if the injection has been successful.
Liquid micro sclerotherapy has a good success rate, with 60-70% of veins remaining closed after 1 year. To improve the success rate, veins may need to be re-injected.
As with all medical services there is risk involved, however Endovascular WA works with you to minimise these. Complications may include:
- Bruising – almost always after your procedure, however this will improve with time. Wearing medical compression stockings, anti inflammatory gels and bruising creams will aid in your recovery.
- Skin Staining – up to 60-70%, usually wears off in 6 to 12 months, sometimes longer.
- Skin Ulceration – (less than 1%) which in the worst instance may require skin grafting
- Mild pain – may persist for several days. This in an indicator that the injections are working.
- Superficial Thrombophlebitis (always, usually settles within 10-12 weeks and is treated with anti-inflammatories and stockings)
- Numbness in the treated area and in the distribution of the affected nerve. This may take some weeks to months to improve, and in rare instances may be permanent (rare – < 1%).
- Infection – less than 1%
- Recurrence of veins (up to 80 % at 5 years, it varies with patients.)
- Deep Vein Thrombosis with potential of Pulmonary Embolism – less than 1%
- Discolouration and tender lumps will improve over 4-6 weeks. Inflammation of the vein caused by trapped blood inside, may cause new lumps to develop at a later stage.
- Stroke – rare < 1%
- Swelling of treated legs – could be permanent in up to 5% of people. The cause of this is sometimes unknown.
we are here to help
Most people can expect an improvement in the appearance of treated veins. If you have any further questions regarding Microsclerotherapy, please do not hesitate to contact our Claremont rooms on (08) 9284 2900.
Endovascular WA Overview
- Our Services
- Vascular Conditions
- Pain Management
- Interventional Radiology
- Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Non-Surgical Cosmetic Procedures
- Pre and Post Procedure
- About Us