Dr Sanjay Nadkarni was recently profiled for a specialist feature being presented by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. We thought we would take this opportunity to re-introduce you to Dr Nadkarni and his work as one of Perth’s leading Interventional Radiologists.
Working in both the private and public sectors, Dr Nadkarni has over 20 years experience as an Interventional Radiologist. So what is an Interventional Radiologist?
Interventional radiology is specialist medical area that involves performing a range of imaging procedures to obtain images of the inside of the body. An Interventional Radiologist carefully interprets these images to diagnose injury and disease, and to perform a range of interventional medical procedures.
Interventional Radiologists perform a broad range of procedures by inserting tiny instruments and thin plastic tubes (catheters) into the body via an artery or vein. The images are used to guide the catheters and instruments to the exact area where the procedure or treatment is to be performed. This reduces the need for traditional (open) or keyhole (laparoscopic) surgery as treatment can be given via a small plastic tube about the size of a straw.
Continuing advances in technology mean the range of conditions that can be treated by interventional radiology is continuing to expand.
Dr Nadkarni has worked as a consultant for Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital since 2002 and established his private practice Endovascular WA in 2008. Dr Nadkarni has established himself as a leading specialist in;
- Interventional pain management under ultrasound, fluroscopy and CT guidance
- Endovascular treatment of peripheral arterial disease
- Minimally invasive varicose vein treatments
- Ovarian vein embolisations to treat pelvic congestion syndrome
- Varicocele embolisations to treat varicoceles
- Prostate artery embolisations to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Uterine artery embolisations to treat uterine fibroids
- Venous access insertion and removal including PICC and Hickman lines
Dr Nadkarni is passionate about his work, the advancements in Interventional Radiology and patient care.
You can read more about Dr Sanjay Nadkarni by clicking here.