Varicose Veins and Spider Veins
Varicose veins are abnormal enlarged twisted veins, typically affecting the superficial veins of the legs. Normally, superficial veins have one-way valves that help blood to flow back to the heart. If these valves become incompetent (open and non-functioning), blood pools in the veins causing them to become swollen and varicose. Sometimes varicose veins can also arise from structural weaknesses in the vein wall, or from higher than normal blood pressure in the veins.
Varicose veins are a common problem, affecting nearly 20-30% of the population, with women more often affected than men by 2-3 times. The most common type of varicose veins is telangiectasias. Due to their appearance, they may also be called spider veins, star bursts, thread veins, or matted veins. Varicose veins can be more common in people who are on their feet a lot, women following childbirth and those that have a family history of varicose veins.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
Some patients experience no symptoms, but choose to see their Doctor because they find the cosmetic appearance of varicose veins unsightly. Symptomatic patients may experience:
- dull ache or pressure in the legs after prolonged standing or walking
- sensation of “heaviness” of the legs
- skin changes (such as itchiness, pigmentation, induration)
- recurrent or persistent ulceration
- inflammation of the vein (phlebitis)
- clots in the vein (thrombosis)
Treatment at Endovascular WA
Treatment is performed using Ambulatory Phlebectomy, Endovenous Laser Ablation and Sclerotherapy. Some patients will require only one of these treatments, others may require a combination of 2 – 3 to ensure the best possible outcome. Benefits include;
- The treatment is minimally invasive, patients walk in and walk out.
- Very little, if no scarring
- No hospital visit or hospital fees
- No general anaesthetics
- Excellent success rates
- Future clinic visits and ultrasounds are bulk billed with a current referral for life
Booking an Appointment
Our friendly receptionists will be happy to book you in for an ultrasound of the affected area and a consultation with Dr Nadkarni.
During your consultation, using the results of the ultrasound, Dr Nadkarni will recommend the best course of treatment. Every patient is different and will require their own individualised treatment plan. This may be one or a combination of the procedures below;
- Endovenous Laser Ablation
- Ultrasound Guided Foam Sclerotherapy
- Medically Injected Glue
We are here to help
If you have any further questions regarding Varicose Veins in Perth, please do not hesitate to contact our Claremont rooms on (08) 9284 2900.